WHITES lane was originally WYKES Lane then years ago when a new street sign was erected, a mistake was made and it was printed Whites Lane instead of Wykes and it has remained ever since.
The DE BRAY family was first mentioned in the 1100’s and they owned 21 acres of land in Harlestone. Henry De Bray’s grandson, also named Henry, built Manor Farm. In 1289 he built the hall, the stone coming from the quarry close to the house now named ‘the hills and hollows’ which is still in existence. In 1291 he added a chamber then over the years the house was modernised and parts replaced by the early 1300’s. Henry De Bray also built cottages on his land in the village, most probably demolished by now. Also the De Brays were well connected to the church. Henry died in 1330 then his daughter took over Manor Farm. Sometime after that the Spencer family took ownership of the farm and the Cooch family rented from the Spencer’s for many generations.
The LUMLEY family originated from County Durham. They were first mentioned in Harlestone on the 1100’s. Sir Roger Lumley married Sibilla Morwick. They had 2 sons, the youngest also named Roger remained in Harlestone and was made Lord of Harlestone in 1316. In 1364 he purchased Althorp but his son John sold it in 1414. The house they occupied was on the present Dovecote House. The Lumley’s remained in Harlestone till 1500.